Saturday, September 27, 2008

Career Qualms

I'm a 25 year old woman with 12 years working experience a class away from an AA Degree in Humanities and no idea what I want to be when I grow up.


Since I began my college adventure (in the Fall Semester of 2001) I've majored in: History, Sociology, Humanities, Middle-Eastern Studies, and now I'm afraid I'm back to Undecided.


I never knew exactly what I was planning to do with a Middle-Eastern Studies degree, except that it's such an interesting region of the world and I believe Westerners could benefit to get out of their comfort zones and know more about the people we are at war with. I just finished Arabic One (with an A-) but had to drop International Relations and Development for lack of interest and motivation. It's discouraging and makes me want to rethink what my goals are.


Settling on one of many interesting career choices has been the source of much grievance lately as the weather changes along with my monthly season. At times I feel frantic, as if I should know without a doubt what I'm studying for and yet...


I'm so undecided I couldn't choose if my chocolate fix depended on it!


Listed below are some subjects that I love to dabble in:

♥ Humanities
♥ History
♥ Writing
♥ Architectural History
♥ Music
♥ Counseling
♥ Public speaking
♥ Classic Literature
♥ Current Affairs/Politics
♥ Family History
♥ Culinary Arts
♥ Interior Design
♥ Diet & Nutrition
♥ Photography
♥ Travel


I couldn't choose just one all-time favorite, okay, maybe history is mentioned in three or four instances, counting the classic literature, but what could I possibly do with a history degree besides teach? I certainly don't feel like repeating myself four times a day or acting like a public babysitter... Except I've always had this idea that teaching university students wouldn't be half-bad but it would have to be in the subject of Humanities because it's so vast of a subject within itself that it couldn't possibly get boring.


*Sigh*


Recently I've been happy to create art on my fingernails, prepare hearty cooler-weather meals, and organize the household finances. These are just diversions! Shouldn't I want a career? Shouldn't I know what I want?

No comments:

Post a Comment