Saturday, November 29, 2008

The Holiday Season Begins!

I was so busy during Thanksgiving, too busy to post anything.

What was I so busy doing? Turning my tiny kitchen into a veggie side-dish factory. With two Thanksgiving Feasts to attend, I was way super excited to put my cooking skills to the test and prove to our Mothers that I can make healthy delicious food, AND pull it off on a time crunch, AND successfully transport the food over the river (Fountain Creek) and through the woods (Woodland Park) on two separate days of Thanksgiving Feast Madness! Whew -- what a mouthful!

I took my inspiration from The Pioneer Woman. She has really sparked my interest in home-making-type things, and awakened a part of me that was dormant since fleeing my folk's home in the country to be a city girl. I think it's P-Dub's gorgeous photography that really makes me want to emulate the domestic life.

Anyway, I used her Butternut Squash Puree recipe, so yummmy, so creamy and healthy, and here is my finished version:


I also made her Wild Rice & Corn recipe which turned out oh so good! Here's what mine looked like:


As if those two dishes weren't enough stress for me, I also baked a version of Pioneer Woman's Pumpkin Cake only omitting the whiskey-soaked raisins and opting for Cool Whip instead of homemade whiskey whipped cream. It was a birthday cake for my husband's parents who wouldn't have cared for the whiskey very much.


I'd say it turned out rather well, despite my lack of an electric mixer. I did have some dashing help, though.


... and the parents gave me back the empty dish after a few days.

And look! Here are my contributions on my grandparents' dining table along with two of my Grandmother's veggie dishes. I'm licking my lips just thinking about it...

No comments:

Post a Comment