Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Linguistics

Linguistics is a class required by all anthropology majors at UCCS.  I am having a difficult time with this class because it feels really mathy to me.  If you know me, you know how math makes me cry.  So far, linguistics is having the same effect.

Below I have solved problem #26 on page 140 of Language Files. By detailing this process, I hope to come to a better understanding and maybe not cry so much. There must be a reason why anthropology majors are required to take this course.

Step 1.

Using Spanish for the example language, the book tells me that something suspicious is going on between the two sounds [d] and [ð]. I must investigate the following words: 











The letters within the brackets [ ] represent the phonetic sound, not the actual spelling.
In reference to the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA):
  • [d] sounds like 'd' as in 'dog' or 'cad'
  • [ð] sounds like a voiced 'th' as in 'this' and 'scythe'

Step 2.  

In a chart I've distributed the occurrences of [d] and [ð] in their natural habitats: 


















Explanation of distribution method:  
  • The underscore represents either [d] or [ð] in its respective column
  • '#' is a filler that represents the beginning or ending of a word

Step 3.

I notice these 3 patterns from the distribution table:
  1. each sound occurs in separate environments, therefore they are allophones of the same phoneme*
  2. [ð] is a condition that only occurs in between vowel sounds
  3. [d] is the basic unit because it occurs more often

Looking back on my distribution chart, I can see that the environments of [ð] and [d] are very different. [ð] only lives between two vowels.  So, I write this formula to represent the findings:
  
 







What is the process here? What does the [ð] sound have in common with vowels?  In other words, what is it about vowels that transforms [d] into [ð]?

The name of the process is Assimilization or Fricitivization.  As the mouth is speaking the word in normal everyday conversation, it is faster to place a [ð] sound in between vowels in place of a [d] sound.  It is easier to say [komiða] than it is to say [komida].  The [d] turns into [ð] in between vowels for the ease of speaking, when the air from the first vowel is allowed through the teeth during [ð] in anticipation of the next vowel. 

Step 4.

The more I understand it, the more I think I am starting to enjoy this Linguistics stuff.  Why I need to study linguistics is yet a mystery.

Note.
*The term allophones of the same phoneme implies that the meaning of the word will not change if the allophones are switched.  [komiða] and [komida] still mean 'food', despite their slight difference in pronunciation.  

1 comment:

  1. I figured out the relationship to the placement of vowels before I read your steps, but it was fascinating to find out the why.

    ReplyDelete