Sunday, October 31, 2010

One Step at a Time



Two years ago this song came into the world and its inspiring message became part of my personal anti-stress arsenal. I love this song because it reminds me to relax and to be patient with myself and to live my life for the love of the journey and not for the love of success.

When I finally graduated from Pikes Peak Community College with an Associate of Arts Degree, which took me eight years to earn, this song was performed at the graduation ceremony. It was a perfectly appropriate choice for our group of graduates: non-traditional students living life above and beyond college. Most of the graduates were parents and employees as well as students.

I certainly was never alone in the challenge of balancing work and family and school and sacrificing my GPA to ensure I had healthy food on my table, an operating vehicle, and a roof over my head. After years of struggling to earn this degree I felt my success wasn't good enough because at 26 I was finishing community college while others my age were beginning graduate school.


"The only way we get there is one step at a time" - Jordin Sparks


Whenever I feel under-accomplished, like I should have more successes in my life than I already do, it is a good time to dig this song out of my music archives and play it a few hundred times. It serves as an upbeat and positive reminder to me that life happens when it happens no matter how badly I may want to be in control of it.

If I am always in pursuit of my next accomplishment without taking time to enjoy living along the way, I take the risk of overlooking life's greatest joys - the simple things that mean so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment