Friday, July 15, 2011

Considering Real Estate

I've been in a reflective and somewhat melancholic mood lately. It's part of who I am, as the artist-scientist-type, to get a little off topic - sometimes completely off - to let routines go unheeded, while taking the time to probe and wonder and think about the world as I know it. I need the time to unwrap all that I've taken in, to explore again and again the things I've learned, to gain a deeper and more satisfying understanding. To take a hiatus from the everyday is a necessity. Too much routine and I become stifled.

So... lately the search for Real Estate means I am considering a lot of things. Location? Space? Curb appeal? Resale value? Practicality? There are hundreds of variables, and, in this buyers market, thousands of choices. I wonder about the material world and which possessions we actually need.

Am I severely limiting our choices by refusing consideration of all cookie-cutter suburban homes in neighborhoods riddled with cul-de-sacs? They are the most common type of home for sale, but I vehemently dislike them for too many reasons to list here.

Do we really need the 2,000 sq. foot brick home built in the 1860s with high ceilings and charming architectural details? Is it so big that we would end up buying things just to fill empty rooms? Would we resent the lack of yard if/when we have children?

Am I being unreasonable to shy away from the 1,000 sq. foot rehabbed fish-shack by the stinky paper mill? It has a huge backyard, and despite the horribly ugly exterior, the house is clean and well-maintained. The price is completely doable, but would I enjoy living there? Am I a snob to place appearance above any other priorities?

We'll figure it out, as we always do. But before that happens, there is much to consider.

1 comment:

  1. I so relate to this type of dilemma. One must absolutely take the time to weigh the pros and cons. After doing that, it is easier to keep liking the decision years later. And yes, you will figure it out.

    ReplyDelete