Sunday, September 4, 2011

Runner

I've always been jealous of people who run because I saw the benefits of running and I wanted to call myself a runner. But I always made excuses for myself, and never pursued the idea very long.

For several months I have taken the necessary time to seek therapy for depression, to heal myself, to nurture my mind, and to learn self-acceptance. Then two weeks ago I was finally willing to just start running, no matter how high my fat bounced, or how soon I lost my breath. Two weeks ago I started using the treadmills at the YMCA. I've lost 5 pounds since then.

Weight loss is very important to me, but I also want to build up my strength and endurance because running is, to me, more like a mental discipline and less like a sport. I'm not an athlete (or am I)? However, I'm looking for a 5K to sign up for, just for fun, and as a way to prove to myself that I can do it - a challenge, a goal, a finish line to aim for. I'm taking it slow and gradually getting better, because that's what being a runner is, I think. A runner knows her body, knows her limits and knows when to push, and when to let go.

Last night I downloaded this book: Runner's World Complete Book of Women's Running from Amazon.com and started learning things about running that I wouldn't know because I really am a total newbie. I had no idea that there were shoes designed for different types of feet, or that women were once discouraged from running because it was thought that her uterus would fall out. Now that's hysterical!

1 comment:

  1. I love running. I'm not a good runner because I cannot run even a mile without slowing down to a slog or a walk before the mile is reached. I've never been into athletics, but I wanted to get fit in my 40s so I began to run. I discovered it makes me feel good. I argue with myself on the way to the track or the trail, yet I find myself running and hating every minute of it. But when I'm finished, I feel so good, and that's why I keep heading to the track or the trail. Lately, my knees are troubling me and I've had to go easy on the running. I walk mostly these days, and I sure miss the intense workout I feel when I run. I hope you will get as much enjoyment out of it as I have. Starting earlier than me, you have many good running years ahead of you. Congratulations on your weight loss! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete