Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Feeling the (school) spirit


Yesterday I posted the link for Traditional Songs of The Ohio State University, performed by Ohio State Women's Glee Club.  I advised you to watch carefully around minute 2 to see the audience stand and sing along with OSU's alma mater, "Carmen Ohio."  Today I want to go into more depth and explain why I am so amused by this.  

For starters, Coloradans don't stand and sing anything together.  Most Colorado residents are immigrants from other states and have diverse opinions about what it means to be a Coloradan.  True Colorado natives (like myself) are largely outnumbered by these immigrants.  This is very different from the population of Ohio.  Most Ohioans are natives (like my husband) whose ancestors settled here 200 years ago.

Residents of Ohio say that they can go anywhere in the country (world even?) and shout "O - H!" into a crowd and from another Ohioan they've never met before get the response: "I - O!"  Actually, in any situation you find yourself in, just remember that "I - O" is an appropriate response to "O - H."  It works!  I've done this. 

And, Ohioans also like to do this: 


This picture was taken in Springfield, OH when Women's Glee Club went on tour in April.  Yes, that's me representing the "I," with my rooming buddy posing as "H," and our generous hosts making up the first and last "O." 

Ohioans are really into this pose!  Click here:  O-H-I-O to browse thousands of O-H-I-O poses.  People get really creative with it.  

The Ohio mascot, adopted by the Ohio State University, is the poisonous tree nut called a buckeye.  Yes, my school's mascot is a nut the size of a large marble.  There is a special dessert treat with the same name.  It's chocolate over a glob of peanut butter, shaped to resemble a buckeye.  You can buy them in gift boxes at just about any grocery store, or you can get the recipe and make them yourself.  People make buckeye cakes and wear buckeye necklaces   Starbucks has a Buckeye Mocha on their menu.  


This is a real buckeye.
On OSU football game days, it is customary to wear Buckeye Gear (scarlet and grey colored clothing).  Anyone caught wearing Michigan's colors gets boos from concerned Buckeye fans.  I have seen this.  You can find Buckeye Gear at just about any store.  In addition to clothing, you can get bag clips, mugs, blankets, sheets, Snuggies (we have this), Christmas ornaments, Christmas stockings, stickers, decals, shot glasses, curtains, beanies, hats, plush toys, Pillow Pets, silver commemorative coins, bibs, wallets, lamps, gloves, garden gnomes, flags, banners, framed prints, lapel pins, and any other item you would need to prove your loyalty.  Click here to see with your own eyes:  Buckeye Fanatics

Being a part of all this makes me feel warm and fuzzy.  When choosing a college to attend, I was smitten by The Ohio State University school spirit, and general love for the school demonstrated by Ohioans (alumni or not).  I really love being a part of it.  After warmup and before each Women's Glee Club performance, we stand in concert formation in the practice room, with our arms around the women beside us, linked and swaying back and forth we sing: 


Oh! Come let's sing Ohio's praise,
And songs to Alma Mater raise;
While our hearts rebounding thrill,
With joy which death alone can still.
Summer's heat and Winter's cold,
The season pass, the years will roll;
Time and change will surely show
How firm thy friendship -- O hi o


No comments:

Post a Comment