Thursday, December 5, 2013

A Trip to the Cabin


My parents took me to their cabin when I came to visit for Thanksgiving.
Most days in Colorado are clear and sunny like this, and the sky is always bright blue.
We drove past the Spanish Peaks on our way to breakfast in Walsenburg. 

I was thankful to be back and so happy to see familiar landscapes.
I truly love and miss my homeland.

We stopped at the ghost town of Ludlow,
where there was a coal mine in the foothills where Dad is facing.

Nobody lives here now, but once it was a bustling company town.

There was a massacre here in 1914.

The Colorado National Guard and Colorado Fuel & Iron Company
 camp guards attacked 1,200 striking miners and their families.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludlow_Massacre

A little ways up the road is the Ludlow Monument.

We arrived at the cabin around noon and unloaded the truck.

Then we took a hike into the hills and passed through scrub oak, pines, grasses,
cacti, hiking upwards over beds of exposed sandstone...

...until we reached top of a giant sandstone formation and sat down to enjoy the view.

We could see the cabin in a clearing below, and thousands of miles all around.

After we returned to the cabin and ate supper,
Mom and I made henna art on our hands.

As the henna dried we watched a movie until bedtime.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sad; I cannot see any of the pictures you posted to these recent blogs of your Thanksgiving visit. Sad face.

    ReplyDelete