Friday, February 14, 2014

A Garden Plan

It's been very cold here in the northern hemisphere. Each night for the past week I have been curling up on the couch with a warm snuggley blanket and a gardening book. I'm planning for spring and in my mind it's already happening.

This is a pre-planned Butterfly and Hummingbird garden from Michigan Bulb Co. I think it's a great deal because for $35 I get 29 plants that would cost $55 if I purchased them separately. Plus, a diagram is included and it shows me where the plants look nice together by height, texture, and color. I'm new to gardening and this sort of thing will help me feel confident about creating my own garden layouts in the future.


I really want this to work nicely and be appropriate in my yard, so before I chose a plan I considered these things: the sun's position in the sky throughout the summer (SunCalc), where in the yard I want to spend my time tending flowers, what, if any, ecological benefit the plants will have in my yard, the properties of each plant and their practical uses to me, and what colors please me.

This garden will be on the south side of the shed , where the sun shines brightly most of the day. We haven't built the shed yet, but that will happen very soon! I'm always full of plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment