Saturday, September 19, 2009

Ancient Harvest


One of the courses I am taking this semester covers the geography and peoples of Mexico, Central America, and the Caribbean.  We are currently studying the ancient empires of this region, like the Mayans and the Aztecs.  I visited the university library yesterday to find some inspiration for the term paper we are to write for this class.  I brought home eight books! on the subjects of Mesoamerican food, medicine, and gender.  Hoping that a research topic will jump out at me from the pages of one of those books, I found an interesting Aztec verse quoted in Eating Landscape by Philip P. Arnold.  In a chapter about human sacrifice and corn harvest being directly related, this verse reads:

We live HERE on the earth [stomping on the mud floor]
we are all fruits of the earth
the earth sustains us
we grow here, on the earth and flower
and when we die we wither in the earth
we are ALL FRUITS of the earth [stomping on the mud floor]
We eat the earth
then the earth eats us.

At this time of year, it is fitting to recognize the Earth for her bounty of fruits, grains, and vegetables.  It is nice that we humans know how to ensure a good harvest without having to sacrifice our children to the fertility gods.  As the aspen leaves in the trees around my home begin to turn golden, I mentally prepare for the cold winter ahead.  I am grateful to be living, to be taking in the mountain air, planting my feet upon the dirt, watching the sun's arc over my head, as I hang my clothes on the line to dry.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Maria,

    You might want to check out the book 1491 by Charles C. Mann. It's a nonfiction work that discusses the indigenous communities before Columbus ever entered the Americas. It dispells a lot of common myths about the time and the people. I really enjoyed it and think you might like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for that recommendation! I will definitely check it out. I am reading "Malinche's Conquest" right now, about the Aztec woman who was an interpreter for and mistress to Cortés. Fascinating!

    ReplyDelete