Sunday, January 3, 2010

Part 2 of The Book Housing Situation

At the end of the day yesterday, I had acquired all of my lumber, and all necessary equipment, I learned how to use my grandfather's skill saw, broke his jigsaw blade and purchased a new one, decided that I love his electric tools very much, especially his sander...


...and I spent five hours last night trying to figure out how to attach two boards at right angles...






This is all I had built by 8pm last night, and I'd say that's pretty good considering that I am a beginner carpenter, that this is my very first building project of any kind, and that I have no experience at all in this kind of thing.






I'm super excited to get to work today!  This is the kind of project that makes me feel warm and fuzzy all over...  knowing that fairly soon our books will have the kind of home they deserve.

2 comments:

  1. I'm very interested to see your progress on this! You are one brave gal to make your own bookshelves! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Becky! I'm having a lot of fun with this. I imagine it's similar to your sewing projects, it requires a vision and determination, and it's totally frustrating and exciting all at once!

    Creation and destruction.

    ReplyDelete