Saturday, January 2, 2010

The Book Housing Situation, Part 1

We have a lot of books.  And our books need a proper home.  This is why I have decided that my first building project needs to address the book housing situation.

Notice the leaning bookcase on the left below (and keep in mind that we are students and philosophers, and readers and writers, and just plain nerds/geeks who love information), which means that we will need better book storage sooner rather than later.























What a better time to start on a project than WINTER BREAK?!  I have until Spring Semester to finish this, so that gives me just about 16 days to do it.


The first step was to take all of the books from the current shelves, and place the old rickety shells in the shed until I can turn them into something else (maybe their future is to become a woodbox with wheels?).





Second, I made note of the dimensions of the new future bookcase.





The third step happens today.  I am off to purchase supplies at Home Depot or Lowe's (two of my favorite stores in the whole wide world).  I need pine boards, sandpaper, brackets, and some wood glue.


I  promise to keep updating on the progress of our bookcase.  Until then, HAPPY NEW YEAR!  I hope you get to do everything you you plan to do in 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment