Tuesday, January 19, 2010

UCCS 2nd Semester, Looking Forward

It's the first day of school, and I'm early as usual, sitting at one of my favorite places on campus. I just can't get enough of this library, MY library. I arranged my schedule this semester to give me big chunks of library time in between each class. I learned from my experiences last semester that 5-10 minutes in between classes that were at opposite ends of the ~3 mile campus made for such a hectic day that by the end of it all I was ready to go home.

To be a student at the University of Colorado in Colorado Springs you must pay $263 per credit hour (if you are a freshman or sophomore) or $278 per credit hour (juniors and seniors). The full-time student will pay over $5,000 in tuition plus $740 in fees EACH SEMESTER. Fees range from the modest $3.00 that goes to the Family Development Center to the $195.00 that goes to help pay off the construction debt for the University Center building.

I took a good look at my bill today and noticed that I pay so many fees on campus that I should be taking advantage of all the University has to offer me. Because I contribute to their income, in a way I own a part of each organization. I own the library, the University Center, the Recreation Center, the athletics department, the Family Development Center, I own the Student Activities Committee, the health center, and the shuttle that brings me to my car after the last class of the day. Because I own this campus, and because these professors work for me, and because in the near future I will be paying back my student loans plus 11% interest, I am determined to get the best education my money can buy.

I’m going to check out the gym today, and see about swimming laps in the mornings, joining a hip hop dance class, or climbing the bouldering wall. I’m thinking about joining a club, playing some games, whatever seems enriching. It’s going to be a good semester.

1 comment:

  1. It's wonderful to have so many learning opportunities at your fingertips. Our family loves to learn, don't we?

    ReplyDelete