Monday, March 7, 2011

Laundry Day

As it turns out, our Hoover washing machine (acquired for $40 with matching dryer) is a vintage model and considered by some to be a collector's item. Its wheels and compact size makes it a favorite choice in Europe and Central America where people live in smaller quarters. Here in the U.S.A. however, many have never seen one of these before.



Electric Washing Machine; Hoover 0517
Made in North Canton, Ohio
This thing makes laundry fun. What can I say? I enjoy the hands-on approach and knowing that I will be controlling the exact amount of water to use. It's also way quicker than I'm used to and uses less energy than giants made today. As one helpful user reports: "you'll get 5 times more clothes done in an hour than any automatic, but that entire hour is hands on for sure, that's the difference." - Discuss-o-Mat user, reply #4

I can't figure out when it was made, but I'm guessing it is vintage 1965 - 1970. Ah, but the Internet has all kinds of information about these kinds of appliances. I joined Discuss-o-Mat (a community of appliance-lovers) to talk about my washer among fellow addicts and experts of vintage appliances, and from there I was referred to the Yahoo group TwinTubEmporium where I found the owner's manual for a related model -- all this in just a few hours today! Oh, and I found these awesome vintage advertisements through my new appliance friends:

This is the Hoover 0519, a first cousin to our model

1 comment:

  1. Oh, so now you are an appliance nerd! Why not?! We love to learn about anything and everything!! Great research!

    ReplyDelete