Saturday, June 16, 2012

My Summer Plans

Spring quarter is over, and Summer is in full swing.  I'm growing pumpkins in the front yard, and in the backyard are raspberries, blueberries, basil, and mint.  I take pleasure in mowing the lawn with our sittin' mower.  Without the all-consuming homework load I finally have time to get boxes unpacked and rooms organized in our home.  School begins again in mid-August, and then in October I will take the GRE.

I've had the amazing opportunity of joining World Relief as a summer intern.  We work with refugees to help them acclimate to their new lives in the U.S.  Our staff spends time teaching them skills like riding the bus and shopping for groceries, helping them apply for jobs and arranging English language training.  We spend a lot of time working within the large Somali population in Columbus.  It's rewarding work and I'm very grateful to be a part of it.

1 comment:

  1. Your intern program sounds like a wonderful experience! I'd love to hear more about it!

    ReplyDelete