Monday, February 3, 2014

Mound Tours: February and March 2013

Going through my drafts I found this gem from last year! It was missing some site explanations so I added them and now I share it for your viewing pleasure. 

(Originally written in April 2013)

My favorite class this semester is: Prehistoric Indians of the Ohio River Valley (Anth 3350).  One of our assignments is to choose a mound site to write about. It can be any site within our class text book: Indian Mounds of the Middle Ohio Valley by Woodward and McDonald. So... I picked a handful of sites! 

"Alligator" Mound, Licking County

This is an effigy mound, but it's a bit disappointing to visit because it is not recognizable as an alligator or any other animal. It's surrounded by huge homes, and located on a hilltop. 











Newark Earthworks

We visited two sites in the town of Newark. They are shown on the map below. It's interesting that the town has grown around them. The are preserved as two separate parks with city between them. 

Great Circle Earthworks, Newark













Octagon Earthworks, Newark

This place is now a golf course! I guess that's a good way to ensure maintenance and protect it from development.



















 Indian Mound Park, Columbus

Here is an unexpected mound in the middle of a typical Ohio city park. The mound is a barely noticeable bump. 



Cross Mound, Tarlton

This was one of my favorite mound sites to visit because it was so hard to find and it was a hike to get there. But it's really hard to tell from the pictures that there is a cross-shaped mound, or any mound at all. It was built on top of natural hills, and encircled in a wooden fence. 
























Hopewell Culture National Historical Park (Mound City), Ross County

The weird thing about this site is that I've been here several times and just finally noticed that from the angle of the first photo the mounds look like they mimic the surrounding mountains. I'm hesitant to post this observation because I want full credit for this discovery if nobody else has noticed it before!

















No comments:

Post a Comment