Friday, February 11, 2011

Evolution of Military Air Technology

As a way to get to know Ohio, one of my Goals for the year is to visit a unique park, museum or landmark each month. This goal commenced on the 27th of January when Dusty and I went to the U.S. Air Force Museum in Dayton.


It was my first time, but he had been here before, so it was fun for me to watch his excitement as we approached the giant hangers. I am not really a planes-person like Dusty is, so he was my personal tour guide, and it was very educational for me.

When asked later what my favorite planes in the museum were, I answered: the earliest ones. I marveled at how the first incredibly new and comical flying contraptions had evolved into seriously dangerous military weapons in just a few decades. They were so cute when they were little, before the Wright brothers from Ohio taught the U.S. Army how to use them. Wrestling with the ever-present human war-making tendency, I left the museum with a heavy heart.









1 comment:

  1. Great pics an poignant message. Papa and Groom have probably been there when they visited Fred while he was stationed at Wright Pat. Last summer, we went to the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum. While showing my trip pics to Daddy, those were his favorites. He named every military plane he saw in my pictures. I bet he will love these when I show them to him. August 19th is National Aviation Day. Remember Herman Thaden!! I'm still working on getting a picture of his aeromobile.

    ReplyDelete